The site where the City Hall stands was formerly that of a hotel known as “Grand Hôtel d’Europe”.

The building became municipal property in 1866 and was pulled down afterwards. The foundation stone of the present City Hall was laid on 21 December 1962 by the Governor of Mauritius, Sir John Shaw Rennie, K.C.M.G, OBE.,

The City Hall building was inaugurated on 25 August 1966.


Photo of old Building